I feel distinctly lied to about life. I'm not really bitter about it,
and I don't think anyone tried to mislead me, but sometime between when
I was a kid and when I graduated from college, the world changed.
As
a child, I was told a formula: make good grades, go to college, (go to
grad school,) find a job you love, and you'll have a fantastic life.
When you're a girl, people also assume that marriage somewhere in your
early-mid 20's and some kids is normal.
So I made great grades, went to college with a full scholarship, graduated summa cum laude,
and got a job I though I would love. Unfortunately, I graduated in May,
2008 - right after the whole real estate bubble fiasco. When I told
people I was about to graduate, I frequently heard "I'm sorry - I
wouldn't want to graduate from college now." No, you wouldn't,
especially not with a history degree!
Since May of four
years ago, I've learned that many adults are really just kids, the
paradigm of 'what works' no longer works because the world has changed,
and no one knows really how the world of the future will work. In the
past four years, I've worked up to three jobs at a time just to make
ends meet!
Now, my main life goal is to take myself
from starving to starving artist. I love writing, creating things, and
photography. Using the power of the Internet and a strong dose of
creativity, I hope to use what I love to take the place of at least one
of my jobs.
So far, I've muddled through a lot of this
Internet stuff on my own, but I don't want everyone else out there with a
similar dream to start from the ground up. I created this blog to share
my experiences, failures, struggles, and (hopefully) successes with
writing online and living a frugal lifestyle that isn't depressing. I
hope you come along for the ride - I'd love to have you here.
No comments:
Post a Comment