I just came across the article on HubPages. It is a thrifty mom's suggestions on how to save money on back to school supplies. Her children are young, but adult students can benefit from these tips, too. I'm returning to grad school next month and I need back to school supplies. Everyone knows the stereotypes about starving grad students! Well, they have their basis in fact. I can certainly put her advice to use when I get printer and notebook paper.
TwinsTimes2, the hub author, has another fantastic suggestion. Most office supply stores offer a rebate on empty ink cartridges. I used to work at Staples and I frequently processed used ink cartridges and helped customers earn rewards that can be used like cash in store. The hub author and a friend went in together to purchase 500 used ink cartridges on eBay. They paid $40 each. Then, she took the maximum allowable amount (10) to Staples and ten more to Office Depot. She earned $20 at each store for the month to spend on anything in store. She already made back her investment. Now, she can return 10 to each store every month for 'free money' to use in the store. Why did I never think of this?!
The author also shares her secrets on how she plans ahead and only purchases items that are on sale in the weeks leading up to school. Stores have pens and pencils on sale one week, paper the next, and so on. Instead of rushing in and buying everything at once, she returns for several weeks to make the most of the deals.
I can't wait to find some used ink cartridges and turn them into cash! They only need to be in good repair and capable of fitting in a currently in-use printer and you can get the in-store equivalent of $2 for each one.
No comments:
Post a Comment