Monday, July 23, 2012

Frugal Living Tip #5 - Forage for Free Food

No, I'm not talking about dumpster diving or becoming a freegan. There are an amazing number of free, edible plants growing in most areas, including cities. Some of the most annoying, invasive 'weeds' are actually nutritious food! If you want to know more about how to forage for food, even if you live in a city, check out my hub on urban foraging. You may walk past a free lunch every day and not even realize it!

A word of caution, though, after you learn a bit about edible plants, it may become impossible for you to stop looking for them everywhere! I can't even go for a jog without wanting to stop to collect edible plants - that is how abundant they are, even in a city.

The edible tip of a catbriar vine, one of the most common edible plants

2 comments:

  1. My husband is very familiar with all the edible plants. I really should take the time to learn more. Maybe when he gets home, for now I'll stick to trying to keep the garden alive. :) Crystal AKA Military Wife Humor and Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much smilax out right now! I love it! My blog is now at http://www.natashalh.com now if you want to see newer posts!

      Delete